Community is the new content, it’s said, and a community which supports you is the best defense against everything from reputation crises to economic downturns. How do you create a valuable community? Use the Trust Insights 9C Community Management Framework:
- Content: a vibrant community needs valuable content provided on a regular, frequent basis so that even lurkers get value from it.
- Conversation: one or more stewards or ambassadors needs to be starting conversations and asking questions regularly, partly to see where members’ heads are, and partly just to keep things active.
- Common Interest: a community can’t be everything to everyone. Have a focus.
- Caring: encourage through example caring for the members of the community, from acknowledging simple things like birthdays/anniversaries to dealing with individual crises.
- Connection: a community is more than the sum of the individuals. Work to connect members with each other and help them provide value to each other.
- Control: vigorously patrol and enforce your code of conduct, weeding out spammers and other bad actors.
- Concourse: choose a platform which allows for unrestricted interaction among the community. Avoid platforms like Facebook which have algorithms that hide your community.
- Cue: remind people on a regular basis that the community is waiting for them, from notifications to emails.
- Calibration: constantly measure and adjust efforts to keep the community vibrant.
Copyright and Permissions
Our ideas are available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International license. This means you are free to use these ideas for non-commercial purposes (such as journalistic endeavors, open-source academic research, etc.) where no transaction or financial benefit is involved; you must attribute your usage appropriately. Under the terms of the license, you may not make derivative works without permission.
This work by Trust Insights, Inc. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://www.trustinsights.ai/.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at https://www.trustinsights.ai/.