Quick plug: register for our April 30 free webinar on how to measure the right marketing data. We’re down to about 3 seats left.
Sometimes a problem is a blessing in disguise. For the last two weeks, as some of you have noticed and kindly let us know, our newsletter hasn’t been working correctly. The links in past issues simply broke, making them go nowhere except to an error page.
What happened was that the server and system we were using degraded over time until it became unusable. It was a boxed product that failed, and despite our best efforts, we couldn’t keep propping it up. As you saw in your inbox, the system finally came to a graceless halt, like an engine without oil.
What could possibly be the blessing in disguise? Like many entrepreneurial ventures, we set up our marketing automation in the very early days of the company and haven’t made time to make system changes. You may or may not have noticed that we were still sending mail from our old domain name, not the TrustInsights.ai domain. There were a bunch of other issues that were largely invisible to you, but fell under the category of “technical debt” – meaning nagging issues that made things run less optimally.
Over time, technical debt adds up. Marketing runs less well. Measurement becomes less accurate. ROI becomes less clear. Only when you pay off technical debt by keeping systems up to date do you avoid these problems. The challenge for every company is how much debt you allow to pile up before paying it off.
So what’s the blessing in disguise? Our system crash took that choice away from us. Our technical debt in our marketing automation software is now paid off, because we had to rebuild the entire system from scratch, and now that we’re a more established company, we can keep that debt paid off.
We’ve also picked up an important process change; every newsletter issue will also go out as a blog post on the blog, so that if we have issues in the future, there’s still a way for you to get the content you care about. Thank you for your patience and sticking with us.
If you’d like working editions of the past two newsletters, you can get them here:
What’s your takeaway from this? A key question to ask yourself, your team, and your organization is how much technical debt you have. How much is there? How much drag is there on your marketing performance? How much budget and how many resources have you allocated to paying off your technical debt?
In this week’s Bright Idea, we bring you the full session materials from co-founder Christopher Penn’s standing room-only talk at the ContentTech Summit on the AI-Powered Content Marketing Lifecycle. Watch the video replay, get the slides, listen to the audio, and follow along as you learn how AI is powering today’s most advanced content marketing.
- PODCAST: In-Ear Insights: Brand Strategy and Brand Measurement
- Marketing Analytics, Data Science and Leadership – April 22, 2019 Week In Review
- Automation is not always the answer
- Predicting Traffic for B2B Content: A Trust Insights/BuzzSumo Study
- Attribution Analysis for Marketers at Social Media Marketing World
- 2019 Key Marketing Trends Forecast via Trust Insights
Social Media Marketing
- Facebook Updates Advertising Tools
- Should Your Agency Use Emojis in Social Media? Really?
- Instagram May Hide Like Counts to Reduce the Sense of Competition
- Using BERT and CNNs for Russian Troll Detection on Reddit
- How to Develop a Thriving Community
- Searching for facts, directions, local businesses are top digital assistant use cases, says survey
Tools, Machine Learning, and AI
- Software development best practices in a deep learning environment
- Machine Learning and Deep Link Graph Analytics: A Powerful Combination
- Why you should do Feature Engineering first, Hyperparameter Tuning second as a Data Scientist
Analytics, Stats, and Data Science
- How to Use Google Data Studio to Analyze Your Facebook Ads
- Why Choose Data Science for Your Career Towards Data Science
- A Brief Primer on Data Science and What It Can Do for Your Business
SEO, Google, and Paid Media
- Why You Need AI for SEO Success in 2019
- Google takes baby steps to monetize Google Assistant, Google Home
- How to Take Search Console to the Next Level with Google Data Studio
Business and Leadership
- Decision Making Is More Than Quantitative Problem Solving
- 7 Things Every Leader Needs to Quit Doing Immediately
- Want to Build a Smart City? Here Are Some Strategies That Work
Join the Club
Are you a member of our free, private Slack group, Analytics for Marketers? Join 200 like-minded marketers who care about data and measuring their success. Membership is free – join today.
Where can you find us in person?
- InfoShare, May 2019, Gdansk, Poland
- NEDMA, May 2019, Boston
- MAICON, July 2019, Cleveland
- MarketingProfs B2B Forum, October 2019, Washington DC
FTC Disclosure: Events with links have purchased sponsorships in this newsletter and as a result, Trust Insights receives financial compensation for promoting them.
In Your Ears
Would you rather listen to our content? Follow the Trust Insights show, In-Ear Insights in the podcast listening software of your choice:
- In-Ear Insights on iTunes/Apple
- In-Ear Insights on Google Podcasts
- In-Ear Insights on all other podcasting software
Social follow buttons
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow Trust Insights on the social channels of your choice:
Thanks for subscribing and supporting us. Let us know if you want to see something different or have any feedback for us!
Need help with your marketing data and analytics?
You might also enjoy:
Get unique data, analysis, and perspectives on analytics, insights, machine learning, marketing, and AI in the weekly Trust Insights newsletter, Data in the Headlights. Subscribe now for free; new issues every Wednesday!
Want to learn more about data, analytics, and insights? Subscribe to In-Ear Insights, the Trust Insights podcast, with new 10-minute or less episodes every week.